The other day I was buying Mia some shoes at the store and the lady at the counter was all sweet like most people are. She asked how the pregnancy is going and said I looked nice, and then she asked when I'm due. I gave her the date and then I got the standard reaction: the involuntary gasp, the jaw drops, the eyes bug out, and she proclaims that I must be having twins, and she busts out: "There's NO WAY you are carrying that baby past March. If you do, I want you do come in here on April 1st and ask for WAYNETTE, uh-huh just like Wayne, and I want to SEE that belly."
Yeah, it actually was pretty funny.
Let's see what else? This last Monday I walked into the grocery store for a total of two minutes to return a Redbox DVD - and a grocery clerk walks by me and just blurts out "You look like you're ready to pop!"
Uh huh.
My record is three comments in one week. It actually started off in my OB's office. If you can believe it, the NURSE took my measurements and actually said to me, "YOU'RE ONLY 31 WEEKS?"
Thanks.
The next day I went to the gym and dropped Mia off at the kid's club. The babysitter says, "I haven't seen you for a few days, I thought maybe you'd had that baby. When are you due?" April 24th, gasp, jaw, eyes, and of course - ARE YOU HAVING TWINS?
Haven't heard that one before.
And then the next day Mia and I were walking around the mall and a store clerk very eagerly followed us around chit-chatting. (Have you noticed that the recession has created clerk-zillas that follow you around like used car salesmen?) Well, you can imagine how the conversation went along, and again when are you due? April 24, gasp, jaw, eyes, are you sure there's only one in there?
Yup. I've started expertly dodging the actual due date, I respond with a smile and "Not soon enough!" When pressed I've been getting a little testy example: the other day I was getting my brakes fixed at the shop, and the guy in the office asks when I'm due. I dodged, he pushed, and I told him "I'll tell you, but don't you DARE tell me that I look like I'm going to have twins." He laughed, (he's actually pretty nice, I've taken my car there several times) and told me that he and his wife have five kids - and he said "You're holding your shape really well! My wife always puffed up huge in the face, arms, etc."
That made my day.
Well, enough is enough. Here's the picture, but keep your "twins" comments and thoughts to yourself! :)
19 comments:
Thanks for that post! I have been dying to "see" the belly! I think you need to go back and tell the clerk at the shoe store you will be in the first of March, but you want a free pair of shoes for the baby! :) I am impressed that you are still going to the gym, way to go! Is exercise getting un-comfortable yet?What does Mia say about the belly? Does she get it? Hailey has been asking about her lately...can you put another video up soon? Hailey loves those.
Steph, I think you look GREAT. You're one of the lucky ones that carries it all out in front. Lots of women gain it in the thighs, butt, hips, face, etc...Of course it makes your belly seem a little rounder, but that is just because the rest of you still looks so slim:)
I feel your pain! Dang that short torso! I acutally thought it was "cool" to look big. Anyway, Brenna is so right, you're keeping your shape nicely and and you dont' look puffy in the face. GO STEPH! And you (your belly) looks FANTASTIC!!!
Steph I think you look great and I am not just saying that...I looked up the picture I took when I was near the end with Hudson (I think I had about a month before I had him) and I promise I compared them side by side and you definitely look better! I really bet you will have that baby sooner than your due date too so might as well just make up your own due date and have fun with it when people ask- you know like start saying "due? what do you mean when am I due? I am not every pregnant!" or "I still have about 4 months to go"
Fun photo! There's just nowhere for a baby to go when you're shorter :) You look healthy and that's important! What does Mia think?
I laughed so hard I almost cried Stephanie. I can just picture all those people as they make those comments. When I was 39 weeks pregnant with Bradley one of my patient's at the hospital asked another nurse if she could find me. When pressed for a description of her nurse, she described me as the heavy one. "Oh, the pregnant one?" No not pregnant, just really overweight. At least people are calling you pregnant, not just fat :)
You look amazing! Your post is so funny, it put a smile on my face. I am glad you can see the humor in other people's comments. Seriously, you look awesome.
Gotta say, I'm dissapointed. The way you hyped it up, I was expecting a blimp! You look great, quit your whining! You'll be glad you took pictures of your belly. Today I was looking at my belly pictures to make me feel better about my extra valentines stomach I'm still sporting around. There is too much chocolate and sweets based around that holiday. I'm not complaining though. :)So what are some names???
Good old Erica - you crack me up. Maybe the picture doesn't do full justice to the belly (naturally I picked the best one...), either that or people out East really do just speak their minds!
As for names, I keep making lists and Ryan keeps crossing them off - so this child might never have a name!
Stephers, you look fabulous! I love the baby belly! Does Mia get mad about not being able to sit on your lap very well? Kaiya is getting ticked about it, and always says, "baby sister too BIIIIG!!" makes me feel really good. I agree that you should just start telling random people that you're not going to see again that you're due any day, then they'll say you look so small!
Loved that post Stephanie! People are so stupid. I still remember when I was pregnant with Tayson and I got the "ready to pop" comment when I still had two months left.
I think you look great! There is a nice "roundness" to that belly :)
Hope you are feeling good, and that the baby isn't making you too uncomfortable yet.
Oh steph you look totally cute. And, it's all belly. So, don't let the comments get to you.
Steph that was hilarious. I'm glad you can laugh at all of that because I know it can be super annoying and hurtful. YOU seriously look tiny though. Your body just looks so thin so at least you know you'll look fantastic as soon as you have the baby. Of course you look fantastic now too, I just meant that you haven't gained any weight anywhere as far as it looks from the picture. I'm super excited for you!
Stephanie- This is your Gville friend Jesse W. I found your blog through Natalie's. Fun to catch up with you. We are enjoying post MBA life as well! Philly looks fun. And you look GREAT! Little Mia is so cute. We have a blog too: mydelovelies.blogspot.com.
Steph...I think you look great!! Keep us posted on your progress & give the family a hug from us!!
I think you look pretty amazing! I bet that if I saw you from behind I wouldn't really be able to tell that you were pregnant... I only dream that I will be able to stay that thin... And way to go on continuing to go to the gym even though you are prego! Also, something I dream of being able to do! That is if I can find a man... yet another "dream". :)
Stephanie, I can't believe it is you! I'm so glad you commented on my blog. I have often wondered how your life turned out and I'm so excited to see that you are married and a mom. I've looked through your blog and you have been to so many exciting places. It was fun to see pictures of Andrew and your parents. I'm glad that life has been good to you and I will have to check back often to see what's new. Tell your family "hi" from us. It sure has been a long time but that's why I loves blogs. Take care.
-Kari
It may make you feel better to see my cousin Carlye with the red hair :) http://timandcarlyemorgan.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-neighborhood-friends.html
Post a Comment