Friday, August 15, 2008

East Coast Living

Any Food Network fans out there? Have you ever watched a show like the Barefoot Contessa and just laughed at her grocery shopping stores? I didn't think those kinds of places really existed....until we moved out here.

I love grocery shopping in Philadelphia! I think the higher population and cultural diversity allow the grocery stores to stock more interesting food. My favorite grocery store out here is Wegmans.



This is really the most amazing grocery store I've ever seen. It has a cheese shop, a fish mart, a deli, a gelatto ice cream counter, a whole area of take out food, an olive bar etc. etc. It is really something to see. It even has this huge electric train that runs along the ceiling - Mia LOVES it. And, if you can believe it, they are pretty reasonable with their prices.I don't actually buy any of the fancy stuff regularly, but all that good food sure puts me in the mood for grocery shopping!

My other tribute to fine grocers out here is the Produce Junction. Our family is obsessed with fruit and this place is our heaven. The first time we walked in, Ryan saw the look in my eye and instinctively reached to protect his wallet.

I just went today and here's a look at what I bought:



The bunch of spinach was $1 as was the bunch of basil and the bag of carrots. And let me tell you - that basil smells so darn good!!!! The grapes were 2lbs for $2 and the pint of blueberries was $1.50. The prices are pretty fabulous, but the products themselves are even better!

10 comments:

Annette and Scott said...

The food looks wonderful and the prices seem very reasonable!! Hope you'll have a gelatto for me next time you're shopping! We miss you & hope you are having a wonderful experience!!

Darcy said...

I saw on Good Eats once the olive bar. Things in the east are so different! Though, I wouldn't mindh having more of a selection while grocery shopping.

Michelle said...

I must admit that I am jealous, that sounds like so much fun to shop! I have to tell you on a side note that Hailey wants to watch/see Mia everyday! So make sure to keep those videos and pics coming! I have watched Mia making a cake about 25 times! It is so cute though, I haven't gotten tired of it (yet)! We watched it today and then Hailey went to her kitchen to make a Mia cake. Oh how we miss you!

Berrett's said...

Man i wish i had a grocery store like that! Oh and yes Jack LOVES watching that cake video of Mia!! He calls her "Mi" or "Mi-Mi". And he usually points to the door and wants to go outside after we watch it thinking you guys will be out there too! haha. Poor guy. That's alright soon enough. :) Hope you are doing well!!

Tina

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

We love watching Good Eats. When we moved to Virginia for 3 months and discovered Wegman's, I thought "I've finally found the Megamart" It had everything we needed for all those foodie meals we love to eat.

They even had a great selection of pre-packed items without soybean or dairy related ingredients for my little boy with food allergies.

I miss Wegman's. Best. Store. Ever!! You'll have to have one of their luscious desserts for me.

Belle said...

nice--we have lots of good produce here, but the prices vary glad you're having fun and enjoying the east-i really loved central park when I went to visit! The traffic sure is atrocious though... great family photo-i love how you word things, you sound like a happy little family steph and I wish I could come visit!

Becky J. said...

That's awesome you've found a good place for cheap produce. Everything is more expensive here, except for the produce. I found a great little hole in the wall place with the cheapest produce I've ever seen, at it's good stuff, too. We're so much healthier here than in Utah! Ha ha.

Lisa Lou said...

I love Wegmans! I tried to get a job there at one point...
Sounds like you are having so so much fun!
Love, Lisa

Debbie said...

Dude the olive bar is so crazy! I had no idea that you could do so much with olives! Bones loves the train as well.

kyleyetter said...

Ryan! I stumbled upon your blog link on Tyler and Jessica's page, so came over to check it out. Welcome to the east coast! Are you guys in Philly, then? How was the MBA? What are you doing out here? We're out in Lancaster these days, but I go to Philly a couple times a month for meetings (still with Ford). I even manage to catch a Phils' game now and then.

Oh, and Wegman's ROCKS!