Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Desert

During the month of July we also visited my family in Nevada. Even though I really enjoy living in the lush green of Pennsylvania, I think I will always be a desert-lover at heart! :) Trees can get a little claustrophobic sometimes.

Visiting home was great. I got to see my not-so-little brother who recently returned home from a two-year mission in Uruguay, so it really had been 2.5 years. Sometimes I like to think of him as my "little" 13 year old brother still, but he's way past that (I could make some joke about how he's still a 13 year old stuck in a 21 year old body...but I won't :).

The worst part of the trip was the long airplane rides. Living on the opposite side of the country doesn't really feel any different until we want to visit family. BUT! The kids did AWESOME, so I won't complain.

Soooo, unfortunately I was really lazy and didn't get the camera out much during our visit. I seriously have about 4 pictures. (For shame!) Here they are in all their glory:












Since the pictures don't do any justice to the trip, I'll give my list of high lights in no particular order:

-Watched a sweet baseball game, Reno Aces, with the big kids (the grandparents got all the grandkids to bed while we were out! hurray!)

-Loved seeing my nephews - so darn cute. Can't believe how skinny Ethan is - and what a smartie pants! Cracked up at the quiet, subtle, cunning of Mr. Tank Hudson. Funny kids :)

-took advantage of our location and spent some time in the Reno temple - (our temple is about 3 hours away in DC!)

-loved the Nevada sunsets/sunrises and crisp mornings

-kicked out a few crossword puzzles with the fam - found a new love in the game 'jumble' (liked having Candace there to bounce ideas with!)

-won the bet with Ryan on whether or not Hudson pooped in the little kiddie pool out front - saw the floatie

-eating lots of goooood food that I didn't have to cook, mmmm mom's hot fudge straight from the jar....

-loved the dice game & mormon bridge - accompanied with an overload of Chex Muddy Buddies

-getting to play with all my old barbie dolls again - Mia couldn't get me to change the dresses fast enough

-watching Mia and Ethan and Hudson LOVE the sand at Lake Tahoe. Those kiddies would have dug holes to China if we'd stayed long enough.

-snorkeling with Dad & Brady in Lake Tahoe

-a sad highlight - sunburnt parts of Mia to a crisp! somehow I missed one spot on her shoulder and the tips of her ears (they are usually under her hair, but she had a hat on!) she blistered sooo bad :( Didn't whine at all though!!!

-nothing like flying across the water on jet skis - THANKS DAD for spending so much time fixing them before we got there!!!!

-developing a new addiction to the show Burn Notice - doesn't he look like Napoleon Dynamite? Ryan is actually out at Blockbuster right now checking to see if they have the videos for rent...haha

Good Times!

2 comments:

Candace said...

your post made me crack up out loud multiple times....oh if only that floatie wasn't really there....don't tell Andrew but a few people have told him he looks just like the guy on Burn Notice-so Napoleon Dynamite too might be a bit of a blow to the ego....we have recorded abunch of episodes on our computer, but the sequencing is all wrong so we're going out tomorrow in search of seasons ourselves.....we had so much fun and were so glad we got to see you guys!

Belle said...

So fun! Family is soo nice :) Specially when they cook and babysit ;) I just wish I could have more time to talk to all of mine!

Glad you could attend the temple, we are about 2 1/2 hrs from the temple here, but we made a goal to go every month and have done well until the baby was born, but we'll be back in a couple weeks, now if we could just get a good babysitter so we could attend together...lots of love!